Newton & McDonald County Master Gardner Minutes
June 2, 2015
The meeting was called to order by President Mike Snow at 6:30.
SECRETARY’S REPORT: April minutes was made available to members via e-mail. A motion to approve the minutes was made by Jackie Hoyez, seconded by Donna Hobbs, and was carried by unanimous vote.
Beginning balance on May 5th, 2015 was $3,816.56. Additional income received from the plant sale $42.00. Total expenses disbursed in the amount of $188.52. This gave us an ending balance of $3,670.04 as of June 2, 2015. A motion to approve the treasurer’s report was made and was carried by unanimous vote.
- Beverly Caywood reported three gardens now have fresh mulch on them. They are the Pineville Green and both the log and museum court houses.
- Jutta McCormick reported cleanup at the Town Hole was done.
- Thank you note from the Newton County Commission was received thanking us for the work done at the Courthouse. They said it looks great and the flowers are a hit.
- Ann Corkle thanked the group for the bereavement money.
- Ron Hoyez announced the demonstration garden is on hold until can get the plans finalized and submit them to the Extension Council for approval. There was also a long discussion on the questionable boundaries on the back of the property. It was reported that a survey could cost about $475 so Donna Hobbs said she would check with surveyor to see if they would be willing to donate this.
- John reported on the sudden death of Master Gardener Bill Repka. His wife Norene will be spending the summer in Arizona but will keep up with Master Gardener happenings. Jutta motioned that we send a card with a $50 donation in his memory, Linda Simmons seconded and the motion was approved.
- Newton County Fair is coming up and Karen Scott has let us know she can NOT Chair the MG booth this year. Lora will contact Jo McLemore to learn if she can do this. Jutta mentioned we need annuals put into the barrels and asked for help on doing this.
- John reported that Jeremy has asked for those who volunteered to help man the hot line for the extension center come up with a time for a training session. The times available are June 8, 15th, 29th or Thurs. June 25th at 6 - 8 p.m.
Mike and Linda Simmons demonstrated on edible plants. It was very educational and they even had many different samples for us to try. Everyone agreed the food was surprisingly good and very much appreciated. Linda agreed to bring some recipes to share at our next meeting.
Next Meeting will be our ice cream social at Jutta's home on July 7th at 6:30 p.m. Everyone is to bring refreshments to this event.
Motion to adjourn was made by Ron Hoyez, seconded by Beverly Caywood and was passed unanimously at 8:00 p.m.